Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This year, we’ve shared dozens of trail-running videos, from full-length feature films to short documentaries and clips from running and racing around the world. These are the videos that you, our readers, watched the most.
1. Footage from the finish line of the 2017 Barkley Marathons. The intense scene as John Kelly became the 15th person to finish the Barkley Marathons, and Gary Robbins came to an unfortunate DNF.
2. Trail-running parody rap. This one made us laugh out loud.
3. A video preview of the Mount Baker Marathon. The crazy race up and down Washington’s third-highest mountain returned this year after a century-long hiatus. (For more on the revamped race, read here).
4. Scenes from the 2017 Way Too Cool 50K. Billy Yang captured a pack of crazy-fast runners at the competitive California race.
5. Life in a Day. Also by Billy Yang, this feature-length film followed the Western States journeys of four female runners, each of whom had four very different race-day experiences.
6. The wrong turn that changed Jim Walmsley’s career. The film, by 9MindAsylum, follows Jim Walmsley’s life from the Air Force to last year’s infamous wrong turn at Western States.
7. Joe Gray Crushes the Mount Washington Auto Road. Turn your volume up for full effect.
8. Scenes from the 2017 Western States. Billy Yang captured a collection of scenes from Western States, from pre-race prep to the race itself.
9. Ridge Running in Switzerland. This is what trail runners’ dreams are made of.
10. Pacing Hardrock. This is what it’s like to pace one of the hardest 100-milers in the U.S.