Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The second day in our week of shoe review previews and giveaways—the HOKA ONE ONE Huaka
This week, we’re offering a sneak peek at several shoes we’ll be reviewing in full in our fall spring shoe review (October issue, available on newsstands Sept. 11.) Each day, we’ll feature one shoe and offer a free pair to one randomly selected winner.
To be entered in today’s giveaway for a pair of HOKA ONE ONE Huaka shoes, just leave a comment on this page by midnight tonight (Tuesday). Winner will be selected, notified and announced on trailrunnermag.com tomorrow.
Note: As per manufacturers’ limitations, shoes can only be shipped to U.S. addresses.
Congrats to reader Carrie whose name was selected from those who commented on yesterday’s shoe sneak peak to win a free pair of Merrell Bare Access Trail shoes. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s shoe sneak peek and giveaway!
HOKA ONE ONE Huaka
$150 | 8.9 oz | 2mm drop
Like many HOKAs, the Huaka is a road/trail hybrid—but significantly lighter (by several ounces) than other HOKAs and boasting a slightly more responsive midsole for faster-paced running. Among our testers, raves abound for the shoe’s exceptional light weight and super-airy no-sew upper—ideal for hot-weather running.
- Running on dry terrain, gravel roads and flat or rolling trails
- Door-to-trailhead runs
- Speedy, moderately technical marathons, 50Ks or 50-milers
- HOKA-curious newbies to maximalist footwear
How It Fits:
- Roughly a half-size long
- Roomy, albeit narrower than most other HOKAs
- “Love these shoes. I think they’re a huge breakthrough for HOKA, and I expect many runners who have shied away from HOKAs in the past will find these to their liking. They strike a rare balance between maximalist and minimalist. Flexible, light, responsive, gribby, yada, yada. Love ‘em. I’d be delighted if HOKA used this midsole material in most of their future shoes.” —Ben Luedke, Sammamish, WA