Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
For the 9th time since 2005, Trail Runner magazine hosted our Uphill Challenge competition at the Summer Outdoor Retailer show in Salt Lake City. Last Friday, 16 elite-level runners competed on side-by-side treadmills for 15-minute stints at 15-percent incline. Competitors could set (and adjust) their treadmills to whatever speeds at which they felt comfortable.
The male and female athletes who covered the most miles in 15 minutes won. Check out the above video to see the event in action, including the final showdown between Sage Canaday and Max King–the latter of whom, it should be noted, promptly challenged the former to a flat, 5-minute bonus round. Watch the video to find out who won that.
And, scroll down for details on our sponsors’ race-entry giveaways this week into Ragnar Trail Relays, the Tussey Mountainback 50 and the Oman Desert Marathon!
- Male Winner: Sage Canaday (HOKA ONE ONE) – 1.92 miles
- Female Winner: Cynthia Fowler (Oiselle) – 1.46 miles
The scoreboard was stacked with talent:
- Seth Wold (Altra) – 1.69 miles vs. Richard Bolt (Salomon) – 1.62 miles
- Cynthia Fowler (Oiselle) – 1.46 miles vs. Leslie Howlett (Altra) – 1.32 miles
- John Tribbia (Salomon) – 1.68 miles vs. Jamil Coury (Run Steep Get High) – 1.65 miles
- Michael Wardian (HOKA ONE ONE) – 1.79 miles vs. Martin Gaffuri (New Balance) – 1.56 miles
- Nick Clark (Altra) – 1.56 miles vs. Jeff Browning (Patagonia) – 1.56 miles
- Ethan Veneklasen (HOKA ONE ONE) – 1.36 miles vs. Ryan Avila (Ignite Naturals) – 1.3 miles
- Larisa Dannis (Altra) – 1.37 miles vs. Jennilyn Eaton (La Sportiva) – 1.27 miles
- Sage Canaday (HOKA ONE ONE) – 1.92 miles vs. Max King (Montrail) – 1.73 miles
Spectators crowded in to watch the final face-off between Max and Sage at the Altra Running booth on Friday at Summer OR.
The event was emceed by Trail Runner Associate Editor Yitka Winn and Ultra Runner Podcast head honcho, Eric Schranz.
Big thanks to our event sponsors:
- Altra Running
- Pro-Form Treadmills
- Feetures! Socks
- FITS Socks
- LifeStraw Portable Water Filters
- Ragnar Trail Relays
- Tussey Mountainback 50-Mile Relay and Ultramarathon
- Oman Desert Marathon
We still have a few free race entries into our three sponsor races, Ragnar Trail Relays, Tussey Mountainback and the Oman Desert Marathon, that we’d like to give away to our readers! Comment on this article by August 22 and let us know which race(s) of those you’d like to run, and we’ll enter your name in a drawing! Winners will be notified via email the last week of August.