Do you have big race plans for 2022? If you’re like us, you’ve been planning your race calendar for weeks (or months) already and have some big goals in mind. That’s where the Trail Runner Run Club comes in. If you’re looking for a supportive, cooperative training program for your first (or 50th!) trail race, this program is the perfect place to start.
The program is free for Trail Runner subscribers. Not a member? Join Outside+ to gain access to this and other perks, including our entire library of print and digital content!
What is the Trail Runner Run Club?
The TRRC is an interactive, 12-week coaching collective designed to prepare you for your goal trail race. It includes a training plan, check-in calls, bi-weekly educational trainings and ongoing group support via Facebook. You’ll get personalized feedback from coaches Megan Flanagan, Adam Merry and TJ David as you prepare to crush your next race.
Who’s it for?
This program is ideal for any trail runner who wants to prepare for a race over 12-16 weeks, or who simply wants to learn more about trail running. Ideally, you should have a comfortable base of 15-20 miles per week for shorter goal races, 20-30 miles per week for a 50k or longer.
Why should I join?
Why go it alone when you can join a group of fellow athletes training for a common goal? In addition to a training plan, you’ll receive guidance, support and connection along the way.
The Trail Runner Run Club includes:
- Training Program: Choose from a beginner or intermediate level training plan that factors in your background, mileage and race goals.
- Coaching Guidance: Bi-weekly Q&A sessions and educational trainings on a variety of topics in trail running from certified coaches and industry experts.
- Community Support: A private Facebook group connects with other runners training for a similar goal, where you’ll share with and learn from one another.
- A complete 12-week training program.
- A 40+ page Intro to Trail Running Guide that covers topics in more depth.
The Training Program
The TRRC program will cover six modules over the course of 12 weeks, beginning with a kickoff call on Wednesday, March 2.
- Base Building Basics and Preparation: how to build a strong foundation of mileage, time and elevation, as well as gear, safety and navigation.
- The Importance of the Long Run: the why and how behind the long run, with tips on how to conquer yours.
- Speed, Hills, Strength and Other Variables: dive into each of these components and how to fit them into your schedule.
- Mastering the Art of Fueling on the Run: learn about the latest sports nutrition science and methods for conquering GI distress and race day nerves, plus strategies to make sure you stay fueled and hydrated.
- The Mental Side of Training: how to stay positive and persevere, even through the toughest moments, whether in life or in your training.
- Race Prep and Taper! We’ll cover how to back off, rest up and recover, all while making sure you feel prepared and ready to conquer race day.
Plan on a training load beginning with around 5-7 hours per week for shorter races, not including additional strength or cross training.
How do I join?
Members can fill out the form below to sign up! We’ll be in touch ahead of the kickoff call to confirm your spot and share the full schedule.