WATCH: Our Panel With Indigenous Athletes and Activists
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The discussion will include Verna Volker, Dinée Dorame, Guarina Lopez, Jordan Marie Daniel and Dustin Martin. We dissected and discussed harms caused by erasing the Indigenous foundations of trail running, and highlight the many ways that Indigenous athletes have changed and continue to lead the sport.
Indigenous Peoples are still here. And thriving. See our resource list below, from our contributors, for further steps and education on how to amplify and uplift Indigenous leaders in sport.
Our Contributors & Resources
See Dustin Quinn’s presentation on Native Running History.
You can follow Verna Volker (Native Women Running) here on Instagram.
- Instagram: @groundedpod
- Twitter: @groundedpod
- Facebook: https://www.
Trail Runner’s Next Steps
- Improved coverage of and by Indigenous trail runners
- Our masthead now includes a land acknowledgment, and we have formed a partnership with the Aspen Indigenous Foundation to support the work of local athletes and leaders in our community. We are visitors on Ute land.
- All TR staff are part of Outside Inc’s DEI Committee and have committed to continued DEI training
- Encouraging contributors to do training in trauma-informed reporting
- Increased pay for contributors
- Investing in sensitivity editing
- Continuing partnership with Rising Hearts to produce and promote a year-long series of panels on various topics