Trophy Series Rules
2013 Rules and Regulations
Participation and Points
(1) Any runner completing a Trail Runner Trophy Series race between March 1 and September 30, 2014 will be automatically entered in the series. The Trophy Series does not include stage, relay, snowshoe, road or adventure/multi-sport races.
(2) Trail Runner reserves the right to disqualify any runner who does not abide by Trophy Series race rules.
(3) Trophy Series participants earn and collect Trophy Series points as follows:
1. Race Completion Points: Runners completing any race distance within the race's assigned cut-off time will receive points equal to one times the number of miles completed. For example, a runner completing a 10K trail race will receive 1 point x 6.2 miles (equal to 10K), for a total of 6.2 points. Runners will not receive any points if they do not finish a race (e.g., dropping out at mile 25 of a 26.2-mile marathon will earn no points).
2. Age-Group Bonus Place Points: Non-marathon Division runners receive points for winning their respective male/female age group. Age groups are: 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49 and 50-and-over (age grouping is based upon the participant's age as of the last Trophy Series he/she completes). These bonus points are assigned as follows:
1. Third place in age group receives one bonus point per mile completed (in addition to the race completion points, e.g., a 10K would give the runner a total of 12.4 points-6.2 for finishing plus 6.2 for placing third).
2. Second place in age group receives two bonus points per mile completed (in addition to the race completion points).
3. First place in age group receives three bonus points per mile completed (in addition to the race completion points).
3. Marathon & Longer Division Bonus Place Points: Marathon & Longer Division runners will receive additional points for placing in the top three overall places for both male and female racers in their respective race. These bonus points are assigned as follows:
1. Third place overall receives one bonus point per mile completed (in addition to the race completion points, e.g., a 50K would give the runner a total of 62 points- 31 for finishing plus 31 for placing third).
2. Second place overall receives two bonus points per mile completed (in addition to the race completion points).
3. First place overall receives three bonus points per mile completed (in addition to the race completion points).
Participant point totals are cumulative. As a participant earns Trophy Series points, they are added to the participant's previous Trophy Series points total.
Points Tracking and Awards
1. Following each Trophy Series race, it is the race director's responsibility to provide Trail Runner with the race results and runner information within two weeks. Upon receiving this information, Trail Runner will tabulate points for each runner and add them to any Trophy Series points these runners have previously earned.
2. Points are tracked by two Trophy Series divisions: (a) Non-Marathon (races less than 26 miles) and (b) Marathon & Longer (races 26 miles and longer). Points are only awarded to the actual distance of the race course, regardless of the name of the race. Trophy Series points are only valid for the division in which they are earned.
3. The new Mud Run division of the Trophy Series will be scored separately from the Non-Marathon and Marathon & Longer divisions. Runners will receive one entry for each Mud Run completed into the post-series prize package drawing. Mud run finishes will not count toward a runner’s point totals, number of miles run, or number of races run in either the Non-Marathon or Marathon & Longer divisions.
4. After the Trophy Series year concludes, Trail Runner will present the following awards:
1. Age-Group Winners: The male and female Non-Marathon racers with the most points in their respective age group will win prize packages courtesy of all Trophy Series sponsors.
2. Raffle Winner(s): At least one additional winner will be chosen randomly from all Trophy Series participants. The Raffle Winner(s) will receive a prize package courtesy of Trophy Series sponsors.
3. The Marathon & Longer Trail Runner of the Year awards will go to the male and female with the most Trophy Series points in that category.
4. The Non-marathon Trail Runner of the Year awards will go to the male and female with the most Trophy Series points in their age groups.
5. "Trail Fiend" Grand Prizes: The man and woman who complete the most actual miles in 2014 will each win a spot in the Transrockies Run 3.
6. “Trail Mogul” Grand Prize: The man and woman who complete the most Trophy Series trail races in 2014 will each win a grand prize to be announced in January.
Trail Runner is not responsible for prize fulfillment in the event that either of these events is cancelled or cannot fulfill its prize obligation. In the event of a tie for the greatest number of Trophy Series races finished, the Grand Prize is awarded to the runner who covered the most miles in those races. Only races that supply official race results in the required format count as official Trophy Series results and are used in the determination of this prize.
4. In the event of a Trophy Series points tie for any above-mentioned prize (except the Grand Prize), the runner with the fastest finishing time will be awarded the prize.
5. Trail Runner Trophy Series winners will be announced on www.trailrunnermag.com and in the March 2015 issue of Trail Runner.
Trophy Series Race Designation
After the list of participating Trophy Series races has been officially announced, no more races will be added. This includes existing races adding another distance to accommodate shorter- or longer-distance runners (e.g., if a Trophy Series race, The XYZ Trail Marathon, adds a 10K event in mid-July, this distance will not be eligible for Trophy Series points). The final, official list of Trophy Series events will be posted on Trail Runner's website, www.trailrunnermag.com, on March 1, 2014
Trail Runner magazine reserves the right to remove a race from the Trophy Series if race organizers do not provide final results in the correct format within the agreed-upon time frame. In the event that race directors do not provide results within the required time frame, participants of their events will not receive points for their completed miles.
Mud Run Category Rules
For the 10th anniversary of the Trophy Series, we’ve added a trail fun run component. The new Mud Run division extends the excitement of participation in the Trophy Series to new trail runners.
1. The Mud Run division will be scored as a separate category from the Marathon & Longer and Non-Marathon divisions of the Trophy Series.
2. A complete prize package will be awarded by a random drawing to one male and one female participant.
3. Each runner will receive one entry in the drawing for each race he/she completes throughout the series.
4. As with other series races, directors are required to send in results. After receipt of these results, participants will be awarded one entry into the post-series drawing per race completed.
5. Mud run participants will still be eligible for weekly sponsor giveaway.
Trail Runner magazine collects runners' contact information for use only in communications related to the Trophy Series and Trail Runner magazine. Trail Runner does not sell or share this information with any outside party.
DISCLAIMER: Trail Runner Trophy Series races are arduous and often held in remote locations far from medical help and with rough footing and many potential dangers, including, but not limited to, falls, high altitude, wildlife encounters, contact with other participants, the effects of weather, including lightning, high heat, extreme cold and/or humidity, and race-course conditions. It is not recommended that you enter and/or run in any Trail Runner Trophy Series event unless you are medically able and properly trained.
DO NOT participate in these activities unless you are an expert, have sought or obtained qualified professional instruction or guidance, are knowledgeable about the risks involved, and are willing to assume personal responsibility for all risks associated with these activities. Trail Runner further disclaims any responsibility for injuries or death incurred by any person engaged in these activities and assumes no liability whatsoever for any participant in any Trophy Series race. In the event of litigation, venue shall be proper only in the County of Garfield, State of Colorado. Participation in any Trophy Series race constitutes racer's consent to race rules listed above.