Old School - Page 3
Lake Sonoma 50-miler | Healdsburg, California
Where to register. UltraSignup.com
Where to stay. The Best Western Dry Creek Inn is the recommended motel for the race and convenient to the start/finish area. Bonus: It’s just down the road from Big John’s Market, an excellent independent grocery store.
Where to run. At nearby Armstrong Woods State Park in Guerneville, about 20 minutes from Healdsburg, you’ll run through a giant sequoia grove, and can go as long as 18 miles.
Where to have fun. Wine tasting is an obvious possibility, but there is beer tasting, too—Sonoma County has three of the best craft breweries in the U.S. (Bear Republic Brewing Company, Russian River Brewing Company, Lagunitas Brewing Company). And foodies rejoice—five of Michael Bauer’s top 100 list restaurants are here in this little town of 11,000.
More Info: www.Run100s.com/ls50.htm
By the Numbers
- 12: creek crossings
- 10,500: approximate feet of climbing
- 96: starters in 2008 (the inaugural year)
- 311: starters in 2013
- 266: finishers in 2013 (86 percent)
- 73: average high temperature around Lake Sonoma in mid-April
- 9: aid stations
- 6:14:55: Sage Canaday’s 2013 men’s course record time
- 7:47:42: Cassie Scallon’s 2013 women’s course record time
Sarah Lavender Smith is a Contributing Editor at Trail Runner, and blogs at TheRunnersTrip.com.