Table of Contents—July 2014
- The Backcountry Bucket List: Six trails every trail runner should experience. By Jason Henrie.
- Gear Guide 2014: Our top picks for the latest trail essentials, including shoes, base layers, jackets, watches and hydration. By Yitka Winn.
- Favorite Trail: Angel's Lading via West Rim Trail, Zion National Park, Utah. By Matt Trappe.
- Editor's Note: Trail Therapy. By Michael Benge.
- Making Tracks: Bonded by Miles: When tragedy strikes, a running group discovers what it's made of. By Lisa Marshall.
- Faces: Trail Blazer. Think trail races are a challenge? Try running one saddled with 50 pounds of firefighting gear and a shattered leg. By Stella Cadente.
- Everyman's Exposed Reader Photo Contest
- Adventure: In Over Our Heads. Three ordinary runners get epic in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains. By Geoff MacDonald.
- Take Your Mark: America's Highest Race. Kite Lake Triple is a "race amongst friends" atop Colorado's high-altitude playground. By Deni Bechard.
- Nutrition: Whip It Good. Bolster your summer smoothies by tossing in a few surprising ingredients. By Matthew Kadey, MS, RD.
- Ask the Coach: Matt Hart addresses the merits of carb loading, recovery from 50-mile races and how to "engage your glutes"
- Trail Rx: Break a Sweat. How Bikram and other forms of hot yoga can make you a better trail runner. By Cila Warncke.
- Run Amok: The Ghosts of Runners Passed. Two runners, four passes and the sixth sense. By Rickey Gates.
- Last Gasp: Things Fall Apart. And by "things," I mean me. By Jenn Shelton.