Introducing DIRT—The Trail Running Life
Coming this March/April: A special Trail Runner edition celebrating the culture of our sport
Mockup cover of the 2014 edition of DIRT. Actual cover may differ. Photo by Tim Kemple.
Ready for something new? We're excited to announce the upcoming release of DIRT: The Trail Running Life.
Think of this as our "coffee-table edition"—a thick, journal-style issue jam-packed with stories that celebrate the vibrant, diverse trail-running community. Printed on archival paper and perfect bound, DIRT aims to inspire trail runners everywhere with the very best, in-depth writing and photography from the leading voices of our sport.
Here's a sample of what to expect in our inaugural edition:
- An inside look at the culture of the historic Hardrock 100 in Colorado's San Juan Mountains, and the colorful characters who leave their regular lives behind for a month or more each summer to camp out in Silverton to acclimatize for the race
- Rickey Gates recounts his adventure racing last year's 86th annual Mount Marathon in Seward, Alaska—retracing the steps of his mother, Patricia Gates (who hitchhiked to Alaska in 1969 for the race) and dislocating his shoulder in the process of taking second place in the race, besting the long-standing course record and finishing just seconds behind Alaskan Eric Strabel
- Photo Essay: Finish Line Portraits, by Larry Gassan
- A close examination of how social media and technology have affected—for better or worse—the relationships we trail runners have with our beloved sport
- ... more! After all, we don't want to spoil all the surprises we have planned for this special issue.
Our sister publication Rock and Ice has done something similar with their annual Ascent edition (originally published in 1967, revived by Rock and Ice in 2011)—and we're pleased to be offering the same to the trail-running community in 2014 and onward.
DIRT will be available on newsstands on March 13, 2014. Subscribers to Trail Runner will receive their copy of DIRT (in lieu of what otherwise would have been our April issue) that week or earlier.
We look forward to bringing you this beautiful edition!